Thursday 16 August 2012

2012-13 Uncovered: Thursday 2nd August - Blimey, That Was Quick!

  
   It's funny how things turn round so quickly.  Five days previously I had suspected a pincer movement and a season of turmoil at Southend Manor.  Yet the very next game, it's just so different.

  On the way in, I could see Southend United were playing Southend Cricket Club in a 20twenty game.  We used to call them evening matches when I played, but there you are, that's progress.  There was a distinct lack of action which I put down to a drinks break, especially as I could see one lad just lazing on the grass.

  
   Ooh, I was groyne-grabbingly wrong.  Blues player Elliot Benyon misfielded and copped a fairly pacy cricket ball right between his bails.  Apparently, his shout of "Arrrrrggggghhhh!  Me b*****ks!" was the loudest heard since Essex bowlers heard their captain had won the toss and put Australia in to bat in 1948.  I shouldn't laugh.  Chortle.

     I was joined this night by Ed and his lad.  He'd raised similar eyebrows at the cost but at least I'd had a customary bit of chat this time round now John was on the gate.  Those little things do make a difference.  Women will believe it one day, too, if we keep saying it.
 
   The performance was much, much better.  More than 3 or 4 passes put together, some pace and passing along the floor rather than through the air and a cracking goal or two.  All against one of Ryman One North's better teams last season.

   And yep, I did see it for a change, even though I was sitting from seats that had been earmarked for 'club officials' in future.  The view was obscured by the metal grilling of the players tunnel.  Not just a bit but around half the pitch.  No problem for me, though, as I spend most of any game missing it one way or another.

      Brian and the mob made it for the second half.  Stan had decided he would add the optional 'a' to his name tonight and led his dad on a tour of Southchurch Park.  He had a quick lesson in laconic humour, though, when he started jumping up and down in front of me.  "Do you know you're the reason I want a vasectomy?"  Dads - feel free to use that the next time your kids are pissing you off.


 
   Much better overall.  Decent performance, decent result, and no mentions of Chairman Steve.  He's a good man, and it's a difficult task following such a well loved chairman Bob.

   Happily, it's looking like I could be wrong after all.  Hurrah!

   Southend Manor 2,  Tilbury 0  (well, i think it was, anyway).
  

No comments:

Post a Comment