Thursday 16 August 2012

2012-13 Uncovered: Cock And Stan With Rovers

  
   Blimey, it's getting to be a bit of a Rovers diary rather than a semi-general, semi-literate blog.  I could say it's because I enjoy the Rovers style of play, or being attracted to an underdog's tale, or even that I like the kit.  The truth of the matter, though, is that Brian gives me a lift.

   And so it was that, instead of taking in East Thurrock, I was in the Mystery Machine with Brian, Ed, Phil, Eileen and Ollie.  And after all, you just have to go to Cockfosters once in your life for the name alone.

   Now, I'm a lovely chap, deep down, after you get past all the rubbish - and parole board reports, of course - so I did the decent thing and paid for the driver and his clan's admittance.  I'm sure that eight quid I saved them would have paid for all of about 20 minutes of the journey to the northern edges of London, but still, it seemed the right thing to do.

   I liked Cockfosters.  It looked like a secret hollow to get into the ground, low roofed seating, and nice trees and stuff all around.  Also nice to see Jo there, another one lost to the insanity of the non league game.

   That was all I saw.  I think Rovers won 2-0.  I say think because I missed both goals through chatting away.  Rovers apparently hit the bar as well, but again I was talking away.  Still, from what I saw, both teams looked tidy.

  
   It whiled away a Tuesday evening, that and trying to find out which end was the Fosters End and which was the Other End.  It was also the reason for going back to Burroughs Park a couple of nights later when Rovers took on Stanway.

    I must admit I wasn't that unhappy when the bus to Wakering never came, meaning I'd missed the first half.  I got the feeling I was overloading on one side already.  On the plus side, though, it's rare you get a chance for Thursday evening football and Brian's always good company,
especially when one of his kids have decided to become Satan for the evening. 

   The game, from what I saw, wasn't that good, even though there were plenty of goals.  Playing a couple of games in 48 hours takes it out on pro players, let alone those that have to put a shift in at the factory or the office before they start.

  
   Rovers won, that I do know.  4-3 I  but I think but, as ever, can't be sure.  It was sure nice, though, to watch a game in a setting sun with a warm breeze.  Reminds me of Forres Mechanics in January.  It'd be nice if Rovers could emulate Mechanics, mind, by winning a title. 

   I'd rather Basildon win the ESL, but let's face it they won't, so Rovers will be the next best thing.  Nobby's End back in the Ryman would be pretty cool.


 Tuesday 24 July:  Cockfosters 0,  Great Wakering Rovers 2 (probably)
 Thursday 26 July:  Great Wakering Rovers 4,  Stanway 3 (probably)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment